Abalone Shell to burn herbs and smudges.
The abalone shell is traditionally used to burn herbs and smudges. A stick can be leaned against the edge while still alight. (Of course, never leave it unattended). These are medium sized shells, 4.5 – 5.5″ (11-14cm) at widest part.
Environmental info: These abalone shells come from South Africa. They are farmed and are not caught in the wild. This means natural habitat is not destroyed and the supply is sustainable.
Smudging is a sacred tradition that has been practiced throughout history and across cultures. The “Sacred Smoke Bowl Ritual” is typically performed at the beginning of a ceremony to clear out negativity and create space for healing. Abalone shells are often used as tools to perform smudging rituals. Their very practical use is as a bowl to catch hot cinders and hold what remains of the smudging stick after it’s burnt. Abalone shells are also a gift from the sea and, thus, symbolically represent the water element while the unlit herbs represent earth, the lit herb represents fire and the smoke represents air. In this way, the act of smudging invites Mama Gaia into the center of the ceremony to hold space for any transformations that will occur. Smoke is known as an ally that attaches itself to negative energy and carries it to another place. It’s also seen to carry prayers out into the Universe.
8 Tips When Smudging with an Abalone Shell:
- To protect its beautiful rainbow shimmer from hot embers, add a layer of sand to the inside of the shell.
- In honor of the natural world, use a match made of wood from the earth to light the herbs instead of a man-made lighter.
- For various benefits, try smudging with different herbs like white sage (release and clear energy), mugwort (stimulate dreams), lavender (calming) and rosemary (mental clarity), cedar (protection) and flowers (meditation).
- For a longer smudging session, use the abalone shell as a bowl and a hot charcoal tablet to light the herbs burning.
- To enhance the energetics of your smudge blend, try adding resins like copal (connection to spirit realm), amber (protection) and frankincense (purification) into your smudge bowl.
- To bless a person, space or object with the cleansing energy, use the underside of a bird’s feather to brush the smoke around them.
- Be mindful when handling hot embers and sand because abalone shells naturally have holes in them.
- Use caution when handling the shell because heat can transfer to the shell.
Price is each. Please see our Turkey Smudging Feather Fan by Kim Wilson of the Sioux Nation listed separately.
Free Shipping. Discount refunded on 5+ assorted purchases
Healing Herb Powders 60g
Nature holds a storehouse of healing herbs, just waiting to be used. Though herbs have been used for […More Information]£3.50–£6.75
Yarrow Herb and Powder 60g
Yarrow Herb and Powder is one of the best known herbal remedies for fevers. Used as a hot […More Information]£3.00–£4.00
Silver Medicine Shield Necklace and Earrings
Silver Medicine Shield Necklace and Earrings. Circle of medicine shield is about 1 cm across. Necklace is about […More Information]£19.75
Nephrite Jade Premium Extra Large Stone
The name ‘nephrite’ was derived from the Greek word for ‘kidney’, which refers to its supposed ability to […More Information]£1.95
Healing Herb Powders 120g
Nature holds a storehouse of healing herbs, just waiting to be used. Though herbs have been used for […More Information]£6.50–£8.50
Californian White Sage Smudge Sticks
Premium Quality Californian White Sage Smudge Sticks, mini and large. Mini- Overall length of sticks is about 3 […More Information]£5.75–£9.50
Bear Paw Necklace
Bear Paw Necklace comes complete with liquid silver chain, as shown in the photograph. Liquid silver is a […More Information]£18.95
Tan Dream-catcher Necklace
Tan Dream-catcher Necklace made by Curtis Bitsui of the Navajo Tribe, USA. Diameter of ring 4cm (1.5 inches). […More Information]£10.95
Kinnick Kinnick pipe mixture
Kinnick Kinnick pipe mixture is used to train Shamans in the skills of divination and prophecy. 28g/1 oz. […More Information]£7.25
2 inch Native American Dream Catcher
This dream catcher is hand made by the Navajo craftsman Curtis Bitsui and is guaranteed authentic Native American […More Information]£8.25
Divine Angel Amethyst
Beautiful freestanding angels carved from pieces of gemstone and polished so they are smooth and shiny. Our lovely […More Information]£12.25
Sweet Almond Oil
Sweet Almond Oil 1 Litre and 100mls. Sweet almond oil is obtained from the dried kernel of sweet […More Information]£7.50–£12.50